Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Fieldwork

I know I'm a year three student, but our school does things a little different. We do one level one fieldwork our second year and one our third year. After our third year we have two different 12 week fieldworks and a choice to do an additional fieldwork experience in Guatemala...which im doing of course. :) We also have different things that we do throughout OT school that count as another level 1 FW. Right now I'm doing a Level 1 FW doing Inpatient Rehab and Transitional Care. So far things are going really well and I'm really enjoying it. It's definately something I could see myself doing in the future, but not forever. :)There are a lot of pts with TKAs and THAs, but also a lot of variety with tumor removal where different parts of the brain are affected, CVAs, TBIs, along with some really interesting secondary diagnoses. I thought it would feel longer and redundant, but I really like it. They have so much fun equipment and really great programs. There is a lot more variety there than at home. I've gotten to work with a few therapists and a couple students. At first I was nervous about having more than one educator but I've found that I really like it. I get to see a bigger variety of treatment methods and diagnoses. One of our assignments for school with this FW is to do the COPM on a pt. Since my site doesn't really use the COPM, we have decided that I will be doing the CAM along with ADL history. So tomorrow I'm observing a student who will be completing the CAM with one of her pts and I will do it on Thursday. It will be nice to get a refresher before I do it on my own. Everyone has been great to me and I've enjoyed working with everyone so far, my main educator is really amazing. She has great interactions with her clients and coworkers. She is always optimistic, compassionate, and considerate. I definately have learned a lot (it's only the second day) and am really glad I was placed at this site.

1 comment:

All about Baby Gill said...

That was a lot of big words... could you translate that into English please? :P