Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ugh!

Wow, I need to get better at blogging more often. Today we had our final class session of Therapeutic Use of Self. It's a class where we really sum up everything that we've really learned about ourselves from OT school. We talk about spirituality in practice, using humor in practice, we've done some conflict management, and have completed many surveys and papers about ourselves. In today's class, we did a presentation on ourselves. Everyone's was a little different, but I talked about my family and life situations and how they've shaped who I will be as an OT. I also talked about my attitudes, values, beliefs, perceptions, actions, convictions, and my integration to OT practice. It really explains who I am, so if I ever figure out how to post a ppt on this I'll go ahead and do it. I am not the most computer savvy person, so if you really want to see it, you may just want to let me know. lol. Another part of it was which model of practice I use in my daily life. I'd have to say I use PEOP the most. Person-->Environment-->Occupation-->Participation. It takes into consideration both extrinsic and intrinsic factors (which cover A LOT), so those along with participation and occupation gives you occupational performance and participation. It's goal is to have ppl live a satisfying and productive life, which is exactly what I want. It's completely different when you apply the models and frames of reference to yourself rather than our supposed clients. It's almost a little like being a patient of yourself. This is super random, but I compared myself to a tree towards the end. I talked about it's strong roots and how it can be used in so many ways and situations. Here is a little part from the end:

Right now I’m an entry level tree with both strong and weak branches. I will need to mend and prune those weak branches to make them stronger along the way. Some of them will die and break off, but it will make room for new branches to start growing. I may never grow to be the strongest and tallest tree in the forest, but I will continually try to reach new heights.

That's all for tonight. I'm falling alseep at the keys and Andy went to bed over an hour ago. :S Whoopsies! lol.

No comments: