Monday, January 16, 2012

Great Resources for Spinal Cord Injuries

Working with therapists with a diverse experience background is super helpful in finding resources or answers to questions. Before I started this job, I didn't have much experience at all working with Spinal Cord Injuries. I've had some in more acute settings, but never in Rehab. I still have a long way to go before I feel comfortable, but I'm slowly starting go gain some ground. The next person I cover for primarily works with clients with SCIs, so I'll have a better grasp after getting some more consistent daily experience. Anyway, there are some great resources out there that I thought I'd share as I have found them really helpful.

Check out Paralyzed Veterans of America : www.pva.org  and look around a bit. They have information on their programs, sports, ADA, finances, etc. It's not only applicable to Veterans, but anyone with an injury resulting in paralysis or loss of function. Best of all check out their publications! You can find their publications on the website that offer guides for consumers (the clients) and clinicians (medical team), they are super helpful, and best of all, they're free!!! They cover everything from Autonomic Dysreflexia, to Depression, to Upper Extremity Function. They also have great Outcome guides for what to expect at certain levels of injury. These are great for therapists, and fantastic for your clients. The biggest pain is that you have to add them to your cart individually, check out, and then they will give you a page with links for each one. Then you save each one to your computer. It's a bit time consuming that way, but once you save them they are yours! They are anywhere from 20-100 pages long, so don't expect to get through them all in one sitting. So far the Outcome Guides are my favorite!

Another great thing is that they have 3 of them available in Spanish, as well as resources for Multiple Sclerosis and things like Accessibility, Housing, Advocacy, etc. I have been referring to this site often lately, hope it helps you as well!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the resources! for my second level 2 fieldwork I will either be on a brain injury unit or a SCI unity at a rehab center here in Virginia- if I get the SCI unit this info will definitely be helpful!

kara said...

Nice!! Let me know if you ever need resources! I'm not a pro or anything, but I work with a lot of great therapists! Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do great!