Friday, January 13, 2012

Know Someone with Parkinson's?

So, my job offers a variety of services in all of the therapy arenas, but I want to give a snippet about this one today. It's not even really OT related, and mainly the PTs and SLPs seem to work with these programs.

It's called LSVT training, and focuses on client's living with Parkinson's. It is a 4 week very intensive program that is recommended to do as soon after diagnosis as possible (early on in the progression of the disease). They also say it is effective with people that have strokes, Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, and Down Syndrome.

LSVT has 2 types: LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG. LSVT stands for Lee Silverman Voice Treatment. The LOUD program is primarily done with a speech therapist, and the BIG program is done with a PT or OT.  They focus on just that - being big with your movements and loud with your voice.

Here is a great before/after video of a client of the LSVT LOUD program.


Here is another video with more information about the LSVT BIG program.

Go to the LSVT Global website to learn more about the programs, watch more videos, find a clinician near you, or sign up for courses. :)

I have many people that I've met along the way that I think about when I read about this program, maybe you can help others with it too! I just feel being big and loud help a lot of clients with various diagnoses in general. Not all, of course, but it's so nice that there's a specialized, proven program out there. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

Have a great Friday!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That is so interesting! Thanks for sharing!! :) I had never heard of it before!

Orianne said...

Hi Kara, my Mum has Parkinson's, she has a very good physical therapist.

Greetings from Switzerland:-)

~Orianne~